Sunday, November 23, 2008

Cashew Crunch



I was on a quest to find a recipe for a cashew crunch and I found this one online. Every year one of our local apple orchards sells this for $5.00 for a small package. The orchard's cashew crunch is delicious, but expensive and only available during apple season. Anyhow, this recipe comes very close and I think its a keeper. I will definitely make this again.

Ingredients

1 cup unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
10 oz. cashews (I used a bit more...I think my container was 14 oz. of toasted unsalted cashews.)

Instructions

Generously butter a large baking sheet. Set aside.

In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the butter, sugar, salt and corn syrup. Cook, stirring until butter is melted. Stir in the cashews and increase the heat to high. Cook until temperature reaches 300 to 310 degrees, or until a small amount of the syrup dropped into cold water forms hard, brittle threads. (I used the thermometer.) Stir frequently with a long handled wooden spoon so the cashews do not burn.

Pour onto the buttered baking sheet and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Break into pieces and store in an airtight wax paper lined container.

2 comments:

Jayne Aych said...

This looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I hope you will get a chance to make it. I think you'll enjoy it.