Sunday, March 16, 2008

Lasagne



Many years ago, when I was a teenager, my family visited my brother, Myron and his new wife, Carol, in North Carolina. Carol prepared this lasagne for dinner one evening and we all really enjoyed it. Of course, I asked for the recipe and once I started my own family, I began making it for family gatherings and it is enjoyed by everyone! It is easy to prepare and can be made up ahead of time and popped in the oven when it is time to eat. All you need to do is add a salad and bread and you have a nice meal. A single batch should serve six. I usually make a double batch. We had a group of nine at our birthday bash this weekend and there is enough left over for my husband and I to have another meal.
Ingredients
1 box no boil lasagne noodles
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 lb. ground beef (I use ground sirloin)
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons parsley flakes
1 12 oz. can tomato paste
2 1/2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Accent (optional)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 lb. shredded mozzerella cheese (4 cup pkg.)
1 cup parmesan cheese
1 pinch of oregano
1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
Instructions
Brown ground beef and onion in olive oil. Drain grease.
In a large sauce pan, mix the tomato paste with the water. Add the meat and onion mixture. Add garlic powder, parsley flakes, salt, pepper, Accent, oregano and worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
In an oblong greased baking dish, spread a bit of the sauce on the bottom. Then layer noodles(3 noodles side by side), sauce, mozzerella cheese and parmesan cheese. Repeat until you use all the ingredients, probably four or five layers. End with a layer of the two cheeses.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 - 35 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

1 comment:

Christie said...

Your lasagne rocks!